Last updated in August 2020
Sharing our technical experience with the readers, we’ve reached a pretty impressive audience on our blog. So, it was pretty easy to distinguish the most popular AWS Database Migration Service (AWS DMS) Support stories. Let’s jump right in and review the most valuable and really important DB Best blog posts on AWS DMS and AWS Schema Conversion Tool (AWS SCT).
We’ve got an impressive series of blog posts, where we talk about the features of AWS Schema Conversion Tool, which is the must-use utility for moving workloads into the Amazon cloud. In addition to that, we talk about popular conversion issues, helping you overcome the action items, which occur during the migration process.
1. Comparing Ora2Pg with АWS SCT for Oracle to PostgreSQL migration
We start with an epic blog post that helps pick up the best tool for automating database migrations from Oracle to PostgreSQL. We ran a bake-off between two amazing tools — AWS Schema Conversion Tool and Ora2Pg. At the end of the day, we provided a thorough analysis of occurred issues and a detailed summary of conversion capabilities. Both tools have their strengths and room for improvement. Find out the bake-off results now!
2. Using Amazon Redshift performance tuning tips to reduce query times by 800%
And now discover the Amazon Redshift Performance tuning tips. After Amazon introduced a feature called Redshift Optimization for the AWS Schema Conversion Tool, we started working on this blog post. So, now we are ready to tell you the real story of Redshift optimization projects and describe the best practices we’ve learned.
3. Using AWS Snowball Edge to transfer multiple terabytes of data into the Amazon cloud
Another massive experience was related to the AWS Snowball Edge appliance. We had a unique chance to use this cool device, which combines 80 TB of built-in storage and compute power to migrate our on-premises Oracle database to AWS Redshift. Read our blog post to learn how to speed up large-scale data transfers with a physical data migration.
AWS Schema Conversion Tool features
The following blog posts show our immersive experience with AWS Schema Conversion Tool (SCT).
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool to migrate Apache Cassandra to Amazon DynamoDB
- General Approach to Migration of Data Warehouses to Amazon Redshift
- Specific Features of Migrating Data Warehouses to Redshift
- Migrating an Oracle to MySQL Database using the AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Extracting Data from Warehouses with Data Migration Agents in AWS Schema Conversion Tool version 1.0.600
- First look at AWS Schema Conversion Tool version 1.0.502 with tighter DMS integration
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool Offline mode
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Extension Pack for OLTP databases
How to handle typical conversion issues in AWS SCT
Don’t miss our blog post series covering the typical conversion issues of AWS Schema Conversion Tool (SCT).
- Oracle to PostgreSQL migration with AWS SCT: how to handle unsupported NumToDSInterval function
- Oracle to MySQL migration with AWS SCT: how to handle unsupported NumToYmInterval function
- Oracle to MySQL migration with AWS SCT: how to convert variables of SYS_REFCURSOR datatype
- Oracle to PostgreSQL migration with AWS SCT: how to handle unsupported data types
- Oracle to MySQL migration with AWS SCT: How to convert BULK COLLECT clause
- Oracle to PostgreSQL migration with AWS SCT: How to convert INSERT ALL statement