Tags: AWS Schema Conversion Tool
Welcome to the very first blog post on getting started with the AWS Schema Conversion Tool (SCT). This is the first video in a series of many where we’ll help familiarize our readers with the tool and see how it can be applied to real migration projects.
In this video, we will demonstrate how to analyze an Oracle database’s readiness for migrating to an AWS Relational Database Service (RDS) MySQL database using an online project. The video walks through the process of connecting to an Oracle database, selecting MySQL as the target, creating an assessment report, reviewing the results, connecting the target MySQL database, and creating the supported objects on the MySQL database. Note that the same workflow applies to migrating an Oracle database to PostgreSQL using AWS SCT.
We found this scenario to be quite straightforward for migration workflow. Some of the concepts and internal features of the product were a little involved and required more detailed overview. Thanks to the SCT user manual, we were able to figure things out. For example, the Connect to Oracle screen had quite a few options (related to TNS and SSL connectivity) that require deep familiarity with your Oracle database. We’ll cover this section in more depth in one of our next blogs on this topic.
At DB Best Technologies, we have a 12-step process for migrating applications and databases to a different platform. We use the AWS Schema Conversion Tool for the database schema conversion and application conversion/remediation steps when moving to AWS. Stay tuned to our blog for more tips and insights around migrating databases and applications to AWS. To learn how the experts at DB Best can help you jumpstart your migration effort, contact us.
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool: Offline mode
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool: Connecting to Oracle Source Database
- Selecting target database type for migration using Assessment Report in AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Troubleshooting database migration issues using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Assessment Report
- Converting Objects during Database Migration using AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool: Applying Converted Code to Target Database
- General Approach to Migration of Data Warehouses to Amazon Redshift
- Specific Features of Migrating Data Warehouses to Redshift
- First look at AWS Schema Conversion Tool with tighter DMS integration
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool for Application Conversion
- Optimizing your Redshift Storage with AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Extracting Data from Warehouses with Data Migration Agents in AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Extension Pack for OLTP databases
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Extension Pack for Data Warehouses