The question of what cloud platform to choose for building an application confuses almost 90% of our startup customers. In all fairness, there are many players on the market of cloud vendors and many options they offer. If we had a proven solution of which cloud you should choose when you have a business in a specific field, a list of countries to release in, and a set of features to implement, then we would share it. However, we should dive deeper into this topic.
Is there only one right path?
The market is growing, and the vendors keep getting better by adding more functionality and suggesting attractive options for business. Talking about the market giants such as AWS, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform, industry authorities would say that technologically these cloud providers are about even. They all regularly implement new features and cover more locations. So, how can you tell for certain which provider is better?
The truth is, there is no 100% correct answer. Often, to answer the “what-cloud-to-choose” question, analysts go comparing market share for each company. However, businesses don’t make decisions based on a provider’s income rate. Instead, they are all guided by business needs and priorities.
The choices of well-known brands prove this:
- Netflix, Coursera, and Airbnb utilize AWS platform;
- Adobe and Lufthansa rely on Microsoft Azure;
- 20th Century Fox, eBay and PayPal leverage the Google Cloud Platform.
You can build equally successful applications whatever platform you utilize. The question is what platform you should choose to make the development process smooth, your business solution cost-effective and to make allowance for future updates that may be required as your app grows.
5 steps that lead you to the decision
To make the best possible decision, you must sit with your development team and discuss the application you are going to build. Also, it’s good to talk over the scaling of your app as far as you can imagine it.
- Consider the type of data your application will store. Will that be sensitive or non-sensitive data? Will it require any security measures? Maybe your application will need to be HIPAA or GDPR compliant?
- Think about the number of devices that will connect to your platform. The number of your potential users will help you to decide on the required data storage options.
- Discuss the required features to decide on the technology the development team will utilize.
- Budget your funds. The cloud solutions scale automatically so you should monitor the maintenance cost of the services you leverage and pay attention to the capacity planning stage.
- Lean on your team to find the most appropriate solution together. And by the way, you should be aware of hybrid solutions.
Consider the hybrid approach
You don’t necessarily have to limit yourself with a single cloud platform. You can choose the hybrid approach instead (but don’t confuse this with the hybrid cloud). This means that your application can leverage options suggested by several providers at the same time. For instance, you can use the Google data storage and utilize the AWS cloud services for one and the same product.
The main advantages of hybrid solutions are cost-effectiveness and great performance. However, you should keep in mind that building a well-architected app requires the expertise of your development team.
Find a reliable development team
Your choice of a cloud provider depends on the development team. When you come to a development company you are automatically limited with the service they offer and utilize the cloud technologies they know. Thus, you need a multi-service development company that has on-staff experts in different cloud platforms.
DB Best has hands-on experience building applications utilizing AWS cloud as well as the Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform. As we said before, the team with expertise builds good products. We never force a choice of a cloud provider on our customers but help them make decisions based on their business needs. So, feel free to contact us for a consultation and make your choice wisely.