Tags: AWS Schema Conversion Tool
In this video blog post, we will walk through the various Oracle database connection options using the AWS Schema Conversion Tool as the source database. The AWS Schema Conversion Tool only allows the use of an Oracle database as a source. In addition, you will need a user account that has sufficient access rights to read the metadata for objects in the database. Specifically, the user needs the following system privileges: connecting to the database using the CONNECT role and reading the system dictionary with implicit or explicit grants to SELECT_CATALOG_ROLE and privileges for SELECT ANY DICTIONARY.
The following video demonstrates the connection to the Oracle source database using the new project wizard of the AWS Schema Conversion Tool.
- The AWS Schema Conversion Tool application allows you to choose connection parameters from previously used values.
- The default values (for example, ORCL for Oracle SID) are not inserted by the wizard.
- You can use SSL Authentication for the connection to the Oracle source database. To enter the authentication parameters please check the Use SSL option and go to the SSL tab.
- During first connection to the Oracle database you have to enter the path to the Oracle Driver file (ojdbc7.jar). You can download it using this link:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/jdbc/index-091264.html (registration on the free Oracle Technical Network official website is needed to complete the download). The AWS Schema Conversion Tool uses the selected driver for future Oracle database connections. The driver path can be modified Drivers tab of the Global Settings window.
- After connecting to the Oracle source database, you can view the Assessment Report about the difficulties, which can occur during database migration to the different target databases (Amazon RDS for MySQL, Amazon Aurora or PostgreSQL). We’ll provide information about the Assessment Report in our following blog posts.
- You can find out more info about connecting to Oracle Database in this manual: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/SchemaConversionTool/latest/userguide/CHAP_SchemaConversionTool.GettingStarted.Source.Oracle.html
- The overview of AWS Schema Conversion Tool application is available in our previous blog post: /blog/migrating-oracle-mysql-database-using-aws-schema-conversion-tool.
- Oracle Database 12c Configuring Privilege and Role Authorization: https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBSEG/authorization.htm
- The DB Best Database Migration process: /services/database-migration#technologies
Stay tuned to our blog on more tips and insights around migrating databases and applications to AWS. Contact us to start or assist you in your database migration project.
- Migrating an Oracle to MySQL Database using the AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool: Offline mode
- Selecting target database type for migration using Assessment Report in AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Troubleshooting database migration issues using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Assessment Report
- Converting Objects during Database Migration using AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- AWS Schema Conversion Tool: Applying Converted Code to Target Database
- General Approach to Migration of Data Warehouses to Amazon Redshift
- Specific Features of Migrating Data Warehouses to Redshift
- First look at AWS Schema Conversion Tool with tighter DMS integration
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool for Application Conversion
- Optimizing your Redshift Storage with AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Extracting Data from Warehouses with Data Migration Agents in AWS Schema Conversion Tool
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Extension Pack for OLTP databases
- Using AWS Schema Conversion Tool Extension Pack for Data Warehouses